10.02.2012

adventures in jet lag

in honor of my first post, i would like to share three extraordinarily important things that have happened since i arrived in london four days ago:

1. on sunday, i roused myself from my sloth jet-lagged stupor and fulfilled a long-standing dream of seeing the pearly kings and queens in person. even better, it was as part of the costermonger's harvest parade, which included morris dancers young and old, donkeys, and a west highland terrier. (video to follow, at a time and date of blogger's choosing, apparently.)

2. having just had our hot water heater at home replaced by our extremely affable plumber (who revealed to us that it is not inexpensive to have one's daughter be married on the grounds of copsaholm), i arrived in london only to find that there was no hot water in my flat. after much fiddling with thermostat covers and wires, as well as prayers to ward off electrocution, i managed to fix the hot water heater tonight. here's hoping it stays long enough to finish the load of clothes i just put in the washer. i can handle sponge baths and washing clothes by hand, but not together.

3. i learned that the answer to having the lid mysteriously fly off the enormous canister of salt you're about to scan at the self-checkout at sainsbury's is to brush the salt off the scanner into the basket, scan all your other sundries, pay, and then walk as quickly as possible out the door before anyone notices. if you don't turn around, you won't see the enraged stares.

here's hoping they let me back in. costcutters just doesn't have that great a selection, and the owner of the organic food store seemed rather offended when i asked if they had reusable bags for purchase so that i could feel extra-sanctimonious as i carried home my over-priced flax seed (he didn't).

stay tuned for even more exciting london adventures, pictures of old clocks, and searching questions such as "do the brits really think that selling freezer bags with naught but a twist tie closure will really keep food from getting freezer burn?" and "which is more addictive: the great british bake off, or cocaine?"


6 comments:

  1. I am appalled by their lack of zipper closures on their freezer bags. Seriously. This is upsetting.

    And even though we just hung out, I miss you. I have been baking in your honor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I miss you too. Instead of baking I will think if you as I enjoy a hot shower and wash my clothes at the same time. I will also make plans to have Erik over for waffles in an attempt to mix things up a bit...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Based on facebook updates from my Vauxhall-based friends (about the Bake-off, for the record, not about cocaine), I'm betting on coke...but not by a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Squee! I'm excited to follow your adventures, dear. Did you remember to throw a pinch of salt over your shoulder (for good luck) after the lid mysteriously flew open? Ha ha! :)

    Also, I'm terribly impressed with your water heater repair skillz.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Liz: bake extra for me. my next home repair adventure is the oven. M: i would have, but it was a seriously enormous amount of salt (think morton-sized container), and i really, really didn't want to draw any attention to myself. some may have inadvertently ended up over my shoulder, though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Then where, pray tell does one find reusable bags if not at the grocery store?

    ReplyDelete